3 quick and healthy evening meal ideas
Eating healthily doesn’t have to mean spending hours in the kitchen or eating ‘rabbit food’. Some of the healthiest meals can be prepared in minutes when you know how.
Here are three healthy but delicious evening meal ideas that are easy to prepare. Each recipe serves 2.
Salmon stir fry with ginger and cashews
- 2 salmon filets
- 2 tsp of minced ginger (can be fresh or prepared ginger paste from a tube)
- 1 small handful of cashew nuts
- 1 sachet of microwaveable brown rice – or bonus points if you cook your own!
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 pack of stir fry vegetables
- Soy sauce to serve
Preheat the oven to 200c. Get two squares of foil and place the salmon fillets in each one. Add a tsp of the ginger to each then gather up the edges of the foil to create a parcel. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
Get a large pan or wok and place over a medium high heat. While the salmon is cooking, toast the cashew nuts until they just start to turn golden. Set aside.
Pop the microwave rice in the microwave according to instructions
Turn the heat up and add the oil. Add your vegetables and stir fry for 5-10 minutes until just tender.
Remove the salmon from the oven and flake from the skin into the vegetables.
Divide the rice between two plates and top with the salmon and vegetables then add soy sauce as desired.
Baked sweet potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- Salad greens
- Toppings of your choice, try tuna and red onion, cottage cheese, hummus or black beans and a little grated cheese
You can bake sweet potatoes in the oven ahead of time (about 40 minutes at 200c) or microwave them for 5-7 minutes. Serve them with a side salad and your choice of toppings as listed above.
- 4 eggs
- handful of grated cheese, or try some cubes of feta
- Selection of vegetables such as red onion, spinach, mushrooms etc even leftover boiled new potatoes.
Heat a little spray oil in a pan and fry your vegetables until they are tender.
Whisk the eggs with the cheese, reserving a little for on top.
Add the egg and cheese mixture to the pan and combine with the eggs. Turn the heat to medium low and cook until the underside is set. Add the cheese on top and place under a hot grill until melted.
Serve with salad greens.
g that healthy choice.